Monday, September 26, 2011

[COURSEWORK] Installation - My coffin!

I have to update about my installation that accompanies my Manga.
The reason I want to make something 3D is because I feel like my coursework is too restricted to the computer, which makes it very analytical and organised.
I like messy art that can get my hands dirty so I was disappointed that I can't do that in my coursework.
So I decided to make something 3D.

The idea of a coffin came as I was reading a manga.
A coffin symbolises finality. Yet it can also mean continuity.
It's an end because it contains death.
It's a continuity because the death contained inside became infinite.
it's like a protection.

In my story the main character sacrificed himself and turned into a glowing red flower.
I would like to make a coffin to contain this red flower for 3 purposes:
1. to symbolise an end.
2. to protect the light (to treasure it so that it will not go out again)
3. to give him recognition.





this is the coffin i am inspired by.
the body part will be made of wood and the pattern made with clay.

after designing the pattern on my coffin i got down to building it.






















the christmas lights to make the flower glow.
i wrapped red paper in the shape of flower petals around each lightbulb to make the flower:






















this is how the coffin looked like at first.
the pattern is made with sculpey which i baked in my house oven o_____o





















coloured and sprayed with black paint.







































FINAL:
the cloth was added to make it look glam and gothic :)





how it will look like in the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment